Upcoming Weekend Intensive Courses (all)
- 12-13 Jan: Basingstoke - Level 2 Efficiency in Scenework
- from 15 Jan: Canterbury - Weekly Drop-in Improv Comedy Jam and Rehearsal
- 19-20 Jan: Cardiff - Level 1 Fundamentals of Improv Comedy
- 26-27 Jan: Basingstoke - Level 3 Game of the Scene
- 2-3 Feb: Canterbury - Level 1 Fundamentals of Improv Comedy
- 9-10 Feb: Basingstoke - Level 4 **Coaching** Class date moved
- 16-17 Feb: Basingstoke - Level 1 Fundamentals of Improv Comedy
- 23-24 Feb: Bristol - Level 2 Efficiency in Scenework
- 2-3 Mar: Basingstoke - Level 4 Training wheels Harold
- 6-7 Apr: Cardiff - Level 1 Fundamentals of Improv Comedy (TBC)
- 11-12 Apr: Basingstoke - Level 4 Advanced Harold (TBC)
- 18-19 Apr: Basingstoke - Level 1 Fundamentals of Improv Comedy (TBC)
- 1-2 Jun: Bristol - Level 3 Game of the Scene
- 22-23 Jun: Basingstoke - Level 1 Fundamentals of Improv Comedy
Level 1: Fundamentals of ImprovThe class explores spontaneity and its application to create comedy live. We shall explore thoughts on spontaneity, and enhancing the performance of the players through using playfulness in their improvisation. It's rather obvious, but our presentation of fun is engaging to see and clearly is fun for the performers too. Playfulness gets us out of the way of ego, judgement and expectations, which are three elements that kill our improv. We shall search the basics of improvisation: listening, agreement and adding, committing and supporting each other. Improv is an open art form, where we search for freedom and honesty for comedy!
Useful to all, as the fundamentals are applicable to any areas of life: business and personal. Get into comedy, spontaneity and theatre that assists people's desires and flexibility.
Level 2: Efficiency in SceneworkThis course highlights the actor's need for scenic understanding and the capacity to delve deep into characters. First, students focus on their communication with each other making sure that they can communicate clearly as individuals and as a group. Next the students will practice using what is there to release each other from burden and invention. Students will be working through clarity and honesty.
Great for actor's training and the classes, courses and weekends will be open to people wishing to explore the topic of efficiency through improvisation.
Level 3: Game of the Scene
After these basic courses, I offer form focused classes. The hugely beneficial format that can offer a lot of development in your improv comedy is the Harold.
Level 4: Harold #1 Training WheelsIn the course, we explore the elements of what makes the form work. We shall seek out the points of development that the production offers and be able to perform a basic 'training wheels' Harold. After recapping performer's focus, game of the scene and the literal structure of the form, we delve into themes and beats; gaining source material and accomplishing 'group games'; closing and re-incorporation.
Level 5: Harold #2 AdvancedIn this course, we build on the first Harold course by seeking a full free-flowing Harold that requires a tight ensemble and acute awareness of how the source material is used; the overall production and the way the cast follows the show; using the suggestion fully; embellishing themes to a complete effect.
- La Ronde
- Openings (i.e. invocation; monologues; pattern game; scene painting)
- Living Room
- One Act
- The Bat
- and more...